Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why don't you come and play here? I'm just sitting on the shelf...

I need to update more often.

I also need to make more toys!

Currently I've been listening to one song over and over and over. "Why do you let me stay here?" It's sung by actress Zooey Deschanel who is one half of "She & Him" It's sweet, upbeat and I think quite perfect for inspiring toy makery. I haven't heard the rest of their album "Volume One" except for a few snippets.

You can download "Why do you let me stay here?" for free at music.download.com


Anyway, what have I been up to? Lots of doodling and trying to decide what I should be making next. Thanks to their popularity I actually will be making more MiMo and Noodle Lady toys. I had been concerned with MiMo for a long time because I had been wanting to redesign them. Since they were one of my earliest toy concepts I just kept thinking maybe they would need an update.

But maybe they don't. Maybe they're just fine they way they were!

Also I can't stop thinking big. I've just finished Tom Waits, and you'll get a quick glimpse of him below. I do love Tom Waits, but the name has no real connection to the toy. Just a non-sequiter. Deal with it!



Even though it's easier to see in person... my sewing on Tom Waits is quite fantastic on some parts. Not all of it... just some... for a moment I could probably fool you into thinking it was done on a sewing machine!

He's pretty big too... almost 28 inches long. I just wanted to make something real simple but kinda large.... but he ended up taking quite a bit of time. I won't tell you how much! but there were mistakes and changes... and his face embroidered all the way around twice... TWICE! if you've embroidered something... you'll know how long that should take. Then double it since i work so slow.

So I'm working something else at the moment, something else that's real simple and big. Then another thing that's a little less simple but still big. Soon Soon for another update!

No comments: